Author Topic: All Purpose Doctor Who Thread  (Read 12149 times)

Zandrax

• Hey buddy!
    • View Profile
    • Geekville Radio
All Purpose Doctor Who Thread
« on: June 01, 2013, 07:15:43 PM »
This be the thread to talk all things Who. I still have 9 Doctors to catch up on, but I'll get there eventually.

http://www.mania.com/matt-smith-leaving-doctor_article_137657.html

It's official, Matt Smith is leaving at the end of the year.

DocSavage

• @#*%
    • View Profile
Re: All Purpose Doctor Who Thread
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2013, 10:15:59 PM »
Seen the season finale?

Which Doctor is John Hurt?  It's pretty obvious he did something horrible, for what he felt was the right reasons.  Mass genocide, from the looks of it.

Zandrax

• Hey buddy!
    • View Profile
    • Geekville Radio
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2013, 10:20:10 PM »
Seen the season finale?

Which Doctor is John Hurt?  It's pretty obvious he did something horrible, for what he felt was the right reasons.  Mass genocide, from the looks of it.

No I have not seen it, but practically everybody I know is talking about it.

I have said that if I had all encompassing power over Doctor Who, I would do a flashback season with Paul McGann that would cover The Time War. We never saw 8 regenerate into 9, so he could have gotten older.

So my thought is that maybe John Hurt is the aged version of The Eighth Doctor (Paul McGann).

POE-Bot Activated!

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2013, 10:37:19 PM »

I think the John Hurt Doctor is the pre-First Doctor Doctor.

Zandrax

• Hey buddy!
    • View Profile
    • Geekville Radio
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2013, 09:07:08 PM »
For those of you that may want to brush up on your Classic Doctor material, here is the first five seasons of the original show. Even has reconstructions of the lost episodes.

http://www.dailymotion.com/playlists/user/greendude33/3

DocSavage

• @#*%
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2013, 11:50:53 PM »
Nice.

Doctor Who streams are easy enough to find, but they're almost always the 2008 and on episodes.

Zandrax

• Hey buddy!
    • View Profile
    • Geekville Radio
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2013, 01:48:33 AM »
So "The Great Intelligence" has been tangling with the 11th Doctor? That's an adversary from the 2nd Doctor days.

Zandrax

• Hey buddy!
    • View Profile
    • Geekville Radio
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2013, 10:05:03 PM »
http://www.thedrum.com/news/2013/06/19/rumours-discovery-90-lost-dr-who-episodes-send-fans-frenzy

Rumor has it 90 of the missing 100 or so episodes have been recovered. The BBC may be planning to release them as part of the 50th anniversary.

Zandrax

• Hey buddy!
    • View Profile
    • Geekville Radio
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2013, 12:58:04 PM »
When I get the time I will be assembling a list of "must see" stuff for people wanting to take a condensed approach. You know, in case you don't have time to watch 700+ episodes of a show. That way people can see good stuff without having to wade through hours of episodes where nothing happens in the long term.

For instance, the initial premiere "An Unearthly Child" is good for the intro to stuff, but you don't need to see the whole rest of the arc which involves intellectual cavemen looking for fire....

SupTool

• View Profile
    • Flying Heel Productions
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2013, 01:06:49 PM »
Good deal. I'm currently getting the first few series from the beginning so that's good to hear.

Zandrax

• Hey buddy!
    • View Profile
    • Geekville Radio
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2013, 08:23:03 PM »
Well, it appears the 90 lost episodes rumor is being quashed by the collector in question.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/06/20/doctor-who-episodes-they-are-not-missing-but-destroyed-the-end/

It does seem that there is movement to do official color restorations of original episodes though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auUgnQ2qJFM

Zandrax

• Hey buddy!
    • View Profile
    • Geekville Radio

Zandrax

• Hey buddy!
    • View Profile
    • Geekville Radio
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2013, 07:19:44 PM »
Idris Elba and Peter Capaldi rumored to be in the running for the next Doctor.

Chus-Kay

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2013, 07:26:50 PM »
i thought john hurt was the next doctor.

SupTool

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2013, 08:56:17 PM »
He's A Doctor, we just don't know which one, though some speculation says he's between McGann and Eccelston's Doctors, sometime during the Time War. 

Zandrax

• Hey buddy!
    • View Profile
    • Geekville Radio
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2013, 11:08:29 PM »
Rumor is that he's an aged 8th Doctor (an old version of McGann) but that's just the rumor.

Here's a link

http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2013/aug/02/who-next-doctor-who-sunday

The BBC will exterminate weeks of fevered speculation on Sunday when it reveals the identity of the next Doctor Who in a live Time Lord extravaganza.
The Thick of It actor Peter Capaldi and Luther's Idris Elba are both lead contenders to replace Matt Smith as the 12th Doctor for the eighth series, expected to air next summer, according to bookmakers.
The rumours will finally be put to rest at 7pm in the live BBC1 show beamed to fans against a backdrop of a swirling vortex, Daleks and the Tardis.
The new Doctor will be interviewed by Zoe Ball in the half-hour special, which will also feature contributions from the show's executive producer, Steven Moffat, and Smith, who is bowing out after four years.
"The decision is made and the time has come to reveal who's taking over the Tardis. For the last of the Time Lords, the clock is striking twelve," said Moffat.
Fans are split over whether the BBC will go for a high-profile star or a relative unknown, as happened with both Smith and his predecessor, David Tennant.
Bookmakers have installed Capaldi, best known as the profanity-spewing spin doctor Malcolm Tucker in The Thick of It, as the favourite. Twitter users suggested a few Tucker-esque one-liners for Capaldi for the more family-friendly role, using the hashtag #tuckerwholines. "Oi, Dalek. Stuff your lollipop up your shiny metal arse, you mincing tin twat," offered Nathan Gower.
Cutting It star Ben Daniels is also in contention, as is Skyfall actor Rory Kinnear. David Harewood, Olivia Colman, Dame Helen Mirren and Billie Piper also get a mention.
Ben Stephenson, controller of BBC drama commissioning, said: "We can't wait to unveil the next Doctor. We've been using the codename Houdini."

Zandrax

• Hey buddy!
    • View Profile
    • Geekville Radio
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2013, 02:29:37 PM »
Peter Capaldi it is. Spin Doctor Who.

POE-Bot Activated!

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2013, 02:53:01 PM »

I think it's great that the next Doctor is an older guy, but Steven Moffat can't leave the show fast enough for me.

Chus-Kay

« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2013, 03:27:51 PM »
I think it's great that the next Doctor is an older guy, but Steven Moffat can't leave the show fast enough for me.

???   he's pretty much responsible for reviving doctor who.

POE-Bot Activated!

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2013, 03:31:52 PM »
???   he's pretty much responsible for reviving doctor who.

Nah, that was Russell T. Davis. Moffat is the showrunner since Series 5.

SupTool

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2013, 04:25:47 PM »

I agree. He's trying too hard to make every episode so epic. But when they're good, they're real good ( Eleventh Hour, Vincent and the Doctor, The Lodger, Doctor's Wife)

POE-Bot Activated!

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2013, 06:04:00 PM »

I agree. He's trying too hard to make every episode so epic. But when they're good, they're real good ( Eleventh Hour, Vincent and the Doctor, The Lodger, Doctor's Wife)

Vincent And The Doctor is probably more tear-inducing than every Tennant Who episode combined.

I didn't like The Lodger as much -- I think they were trying to make a Rose Tyler like character out of Craig Owens, but the guy wasn't around enough.

And notice that all of your favorite episodes are from Series 5....not Series 6 or 7. That's when Moffat lost it for me. By series 7, Moffat was basically throwing shit at the wall to see what would stick. "The Angels Take Manhattan" episode almost made me swear off the series forever -- the Ponds' story should have ended with "The Power Of Three" or at least "The Wedding Of River Song."

Zandrax

• Hey buddy!
    • View Profile
    • Geekville Radio
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2013, 03:02:01 PM »
It's nearly official. At least some long-missing episodes have been recovered.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-24448063

BBC to reveal a number of missing Doctor Who episodes  By Lizo Mzimba Entertainment correspondent, BBC News   Patrick Troughton in Doctor Who height=261 Dozens of early episodes starring William Hartnell and Patrick Troughton (pictured, left) are missing   Continue reading the main story      Related Stories   A number of early episodes of Doctor Who, which were believed to have been permanently lost, have been returned to the BBC.
BBC Worldwide is expected to confirm the find at a press screening in London later this week.
It follows weeks of speculation that some lost episodes had been located.
A total of 106 episodes featuring the first two actors to play the Doctor, William Hartnell and Patrick Troughton, are currently missing.
The BBC destroyed many of the sci-fi drama's original transmission tapes in the 1960s and 1970s.
However, the majority of the episodes had been transferred on to film for foreign broadcasters. It is often these prints found in other countries that are the source of retrieved episodes.
  Tomb Of The Cybermen height=261 The Tomb Of The Cybermen was recovered more than 20 years ago  In 1991, all four instalments of the Patrick Troughton adventure The Tomb of the Cybermen were discovered in Hong Kong.
The latest find comes as Doctor Who celebrates its 50th birthday. A special episode featuring the current Doctor Matt Smith and his predecessor David Tennant will be shown on the programme's anniversary on 23 November.
A raft of other programming to celebrate the long-running drama was also recently announced by the BBC.
Details of how fans will be able to watch the recovered episodes are also expected to be revealed later this week.

Hopefully "The Enemy Of The World" is one of them. One of my favorites of early Who

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bj82Dil3k4

Zandrax

• Hey buddy!
    • View Profile
    • Geekville Radio
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2013, 12:45:29 PM »
http://www.threeifbyspace.net/2013/10/confirmed-lost-doctor-who-episodes-found-trailers-inside/

It is indeed Web Of Fear and Enemy Of The World.

I love Enemy Of The World because Troughton gets to play a dickish heel dictator.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9Ckdpvg22w

SupTool

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2013, 10:51:48 AM »