Author Topic: All Purpose Doctor Who Thread  (Read 12147 times)

BlackLight

• View Profile
Re: All Purpose Doctor Who Thread
« Reply #100 on: January 01, 2015, 01:08:12 AM »
So, if I know nothing about Dr. Who, but wanted to give it a shot, where would an aficionado suggest I begin the journey?

Zandrax

• Hey buddy!
    • View Profile
    • Geekville Radio
« Reply #101 on: January 01, 2015, 01:37:39 AM »
So, if I know nothing about Dr. Who, but wanted to give it a shot, where would an aficionado suggest I begin the journey?

You can start with the relaunch from 2005 with Christopher Eccleston. That's all on Netflix. It start's with the episode "Rose". It was designed so you can start there, but if you're familiar with the old show you catch stuff.

If you wanted to start old school without wading through lost material, you can start with Jon Pertwee's run in 1970 with "Spearhead From Space". He was the third Doctor, but you get a brief synopsis from supporting characters. The previous season ended with The Doctor changing and all companions leaving, so it was a fresh start. Last time I checked that story is still on Hulu Plus.

If you want to start all the way back at the beginning, "The Unearthly Child" was the pilot episode in 1963. Tracking stuff from there can be difficult, because there like 100 episodes that are gone.

Hulu actually has a lot of classic Who. But if you're impatient, I suggest starting with the 2005 relaunch.

Zandrax

• Hey buddy!
    • View Profile
    • Geekville Radio
« Reply #102 on: February 26, 2015, 10:57:45 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00T_ft5RCdc

Excerpt from the musical "Doctor Who And The Pirates"...

...yes a Doctor Who pirate musical...

Zandrax

• Hey buddy!
    • View Profile
    • Geekville Radio
« Reply #103 on: June 27, 2015, 10:00:18 AM »
http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2015-06-27/river-song-to-team-up-with-the-eighth-doctor-for-a-new-adventure

River Song is now being retconned into the Big Finish Audios.

For those that don't know, Big Finish produces audio dramas that feature Paul McGann (the one that never got a series after the 1996 TV movie) and many of the classic actors. They have new stories with Tom Baker, Peter Davison, etc....

So now they're working River Song into "Classic Who", which great or terrible depending on whether you like the character.

Zandrax

• Hey buddy!
    • View Profile
    • Geekville Radio
« Reply #104 on: September 16, 2015, 01:28:08 AM »
In preparation for the Season Premiere, BBC America is showing a lot of Who this week, including Tom Baker episodes. I believe Genesis Of The Daleks was tonight (arguably the best Tom Baker Story), but there will be more this week.

Zandrax

• Hey buddy!
    • View Profile
    • Geekville Radio
« Reply #105 on: September 19, 2015, 07:11:24 PM »
Looks like the Tom Baker episodes will air all day tomorrow in a marathon. The Season Premiere is tonight.

Zandrax

• Hey buddy!
    • View Profile
    • Geekville Radio
« Reply #106 on: September 20, 2015, 12:17:51 AM »
Season Premiere thoughts

[spoiler]The first 20 minutes could have been eliminated almost entirely. This is Doctor Who, not Summer Blockbuster Theater. What was the point of the frozen airplanes, the Medieval guitar duel, and the Snakeman? Starting the story with UNIT getting a distress call from Missy wouldn't be enough of a hook?

The opening stinger was great, and the overall plot was fine. But in the end it came across like a 21st Century Remake of Genesis Of The Daleks that has a few morsels for fans of the original.

And as great as that stinger was, it would up becoming another Moffat retcon that seems like it was meant solely to change the way you view past stories.[/spoiler]

That said, Capaldi is awesome

POE-Bot Activated!

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 20, 2015, 02:04:41 PM »

I may be in the minority, but I liked the first twenty minutes and especially the part before the credits. The hand-held camera brought a different feel to the show for me.

After that, it went downhill for me and turned into a typical Moffat Dr. Who story.

[spoiler]To me, Steven Moffat needs to leave the show and fast. Last night's episode was one of his worst and the story was a retread from his earlier Matt Smith episodes. It was all exposition and no actual story.[/spoiler]

Zandrax

• Hey buddy!
    • View Profile
    • Geekville Radio
« Reply #108 on: September 27, 2015, 12:05:09 AM »
I have mixed feelings about this season, but hey we got a glimpse of the SPECIAL WEAPONS DALEK!!!

Zandrax

• Hey buddy!
    • View Profile
    • Geekville Radio
« Reply #109 on: October 01, 2015, 07:06:17 PM »
BBC has announced there will be another spinoff "Class" that will take place at the Coal Hill School.

Can we just get a Paul McGann season already?

Zandrax

• Hey buddy!
    • View Profile
    • Geekville Radio
« Reply #110 on: October 04, 2015, 03:16:34 PM »
This week was a perfectly fine episode, and just how I like my Dr. Who.

By the way, there is already an online petition to bring the sonic screwdriver back.

It's been one episode....

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2015-10-04/doctor-who-fans-have-launched-an-online-campaign-to-bring-back-the-sonic-screwdriver

Do these people realize even if they win, we probably won't see the screwdriver for another year?

Zandrax

• Hey buddy!
    • View Profile
    • Geekville Radio
« Reply #111 on: October 06, 2015, 12:37:15 PM »
Sean Pertwee seems very open to filling his dad's shoes in The TARDIS

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2015-10-05/sean-pertwee-it-would-be-an-honour-to-play-my-dads-version-of-the-doctor

Fans are of course currently enjoying him as Alfred on Gotham.

Zandrax

• Hey buddy!
    • View Profile
    • Geekville Radio
« Reply #112 on: January 22, 2016, 05:14:55 PM »
http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2016-01-22/doctor-who-showrunner-steven-moffat-quits-to-be-replaced-by-broadchurch-creator-chris-chibnall

Stephen Moffat to leave the show in 2017. The show will be taken over by the man that runs Broadchurch.

EDGECRUSHER

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 24, 2016, 05:42:27 PM »
Rumor that this will be Capaldi's last season too.

Getting pretty tired of the Doctors leaving so quickly to do other projects. I want the next Doctor committed to being the Doctor for 5 years or so. No idea why Capaldi wants to leave. He is pushing 60, this is his dream job and he already has a huge resume and money. How many times do you want to play King Arthur and all that bullshit?

Zandrax

• Hey buddy!
    • View Profile
    • Geekville Radio
« Reply #114 on: January 25, 2016, 01:08:55 AM »
It's possible. Three years is about the norm for Doctors.

My suspicion is that Capaldi'll stick around. We heard the commotion that he wanted to pursue other projects, but now he has a whole year to do that.

POE-Bot Activated!

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 27, 2016, 09:02:03 PM »

I think Capaldi will be around for Season 10 & 11 and that's it. I can't see him for Season 12.

Steven Moffat will be gone after Season 10.

Zandrax

• Hey buddy!
    • View Profile
    • Geekville Radio
« Reply #116 on: March 07, 2016, 07:42:59 PM »
http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2016-03-07/peter-capaldi-ive-been-asked-to-stay-on-in-doctor-who-after-steven-moffat-leaves

Capaldi has publicly confirmed that he's been asked to stay after Moffat leaves.

Interesting trivial knowledge: If he does stay, he'll be the first Doctor since Tom Baker to stay past a showrunner change. Tom worked under Barry Letts, Phillip Hinchcliff, and John Natan-Turner.

He'd also be the first since Tom Baker to last more than three seasons. David Tennant was on for five year, but only three actual seasons (plus a few specials) aired with him.

EDGECRUSHER

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 07, 2016, 10:49:13 PM »
I would like him to stay for a few more years, he was amazing this season and I'd like to see what he can do without Clara being the focal point.

I am all for a companionless season, although I know he is going to have one.

Zandrax

• Hey buddy!
    • View Profile
    • Geekville Radio
« Reply #118 on: August 04, 2016, 12:34:17 AM »
This could be one of those "technically I didn't say that" moments, but Moffat told Doctor Who magazine that he is not writing a regeneration next year. This implies Capaldi will be staying on at least until the beginning of Season 11. I suppose it's possible Chibnal wants control of a regeneration, but as I said on Examining The Doctor... If I were Chibnal I'd be on my knees begging Capaldi to stay.

Zandrax

• Hey buddy!
    • View Profile
    • Geekville Radio
« Reply #119 on: September 06, 2016, 08:24:20 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ib3IEIT0Yw

Teaser for the upcoming release of The Power Of The Daleks. This was one of the many missing stories that were wiped by the BBC in the 1970s.  It has since been officially adapted to an animated release, using the original audio.

I hope there are more of these to come. It's the next best thing to having the actual episodes.

Zandrax

• Hey buddy!
    • View Profile
    • Geekville Radio
« Reply #120 on: November 14, 2016, 11:10:32 PM »
Power Of The Daleks aired in theaters today. I liked it. Though admittedly you really have to be a die hard to enjoy it. Even edited together in an omnibus format, it's still 2 hours and 15 minutes. Plus the animation takes some getting used to. But I'll definitely be picking up the DVD.

SupTool

• View Profile
    • Flying Heel Productions
« Reply #121 on: January 30, 2017, 07:55:27 PM »
Looks like the upcoming series will be Capaldi's last as the Doctor. It's also showrunner Steven Moffat's last as well.

DocSavage

• @#*%
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 16, 2017, 10:10:01 AM »
For those of you that may want to brush up on your Classic Doctor material, here is the first five seasons of the original show. Even has reconstructions of the lost episodes.

http://www.dailymotion.com/playlists/user/greendude33/3

This one's dead now.

I guess if I could find Farscape, I could hunt up a new Dr. Who channel.

I hate streaming though, because for some reason my system lags videos if Aero is on, but disabling it also disables vsync and you get screen tearing..

Zandrax

• Hey buddy!
    • View Profile
    • Geekville Radio
« Reply #123 on: March 16, 2017, 06:12:34 PM »

This one's dead now.

I guess if I could find Farscape, I could hunt up a new Dr. Who channel.

I hate streaming though, because for some reason my system lags videos if Aero is on, but disabling it also disables vsync and you get screen tearing..

Yeah that page has been gone for a while

SupTool

• View Profile
    • Flying Heel Productions
« Reply #124 on: July 16, 2017, 12:08:37 PM »
Jodie Whittaker announced as the next Doctor. First female Doctor