Author Topic: All Purpose Doctor Who Thread  (Read 12149 times)

RealMarchHare

• View Profile
Re: All Purpose Doctor Who Thread
« Reply #50 on: January 03, 2014, 07:16:56 PM »
Because if he dies he doesn't actually regenerate.  Death is still death to him.  The regeneration only occurs when mortally wounded and able to stay alive long enough for the regeneration to work

Zandrax

• Hey buddy!
    • View Profile
    • Geekville Radio
« Reply #51 on: January 03, 2014, 07:20:16 PM »
Much.

You couldn't help but feel bad for him. 

Although, why does he keep fearing death, when he knows he'll reincarnate? 

Eventually you run out of lives. And each body has a new personality. So in a way it would be like being forced to move out of the house you're used to and into one where you don't know what you'll get, or what you'll look like.

When dashing young Ficth Doctor died, he turned into the pompous, arrogant Sixth Doctor who dressed like The Joker and Arcade's bastard love child.

POE-Bot Activated!

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 03, 2014, 07:40:06 PM »

The thing about the Sixth Doctor is he wanted to wear what the Ninth Doctor eventually wore.

Which reminds me, I still haven't seen all of the Ninth Doctor's episodes and most of the Tenth Doctor's.

Chus-Kay

« Reply #53 on: January 03, 2014, 08:14:24 PM »
Because if he dies he doesn't actually regenerate.  Death is still death to him.  The regeneration only occurs when mortally wounded and able to stay alive long enough for the regeneration to work

i dont think that's right.  if he gets killed, he'll regen.  he was able to regen a hand (which is why that doctor counts as 2 - cause he regen'd twice), so gotta figure that he can regen if he is shot in the head. 

if he gets killed during regen, then he dies.

he "fears" death because it means change.  he retains all his memories, but he completely changes into a different person.  in a way, he dies and then his memories are reborn in a different person.

Zandrax

• Hey buddy!
    • View Profile
    • Geekville Radio
« Reply #54 on: January 03, 2014, 08:30:10 PM »

Hartnell's and Hurt's Regenerations just happened, so failing health could be a factor. But I think the argument could be made that he doesn't truly die per se, the body just starts the regeneration process if it feels death is near. That's just my view.

I think it's possible for a killing to trump a regeneration. Explosives for example. If a Time Lord met a hand grenade I doubt he'd regenerate afterward. But that's just my theory

RealMarchHare

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 03, 2014, 08:45:17 PM »
It's made quite clear that he doesn't actually die and if he did he would not be able to regen.  That was the entire point of the one short they put out for the 50th special involving  McGann becoming Hurt.  He had died and those "witches" had to use their powers to bring him back to life temporarily to force a regeneration

Zandrax

• Hey buddy!
    • View Profile
    • Geekville Radio
« Reply #56 on: January 03, 2014, 08:53:46 PM »
It's made quite clear that he doesn't actually die and if he did he would not be able to regen.  That was the entire point of the one short they put out for the 50th special involving  McGann becoming Hurt.  He had died and those "witches" had to use their powers to bring him back to life temporarily to force a regeneration

True, and going all the way back to the First Doctor, Hartnell knew it was coming, even before the lore was established.

Zandrax

• Hey buddy!
    • View Profile
    • Geekville Radio
« Reply #57 on: January 03, 2014, 10:18:46 PM »
This should end any talk on Death/Regeneration

Let's look at the evidence

Hartnell - Knew he was dying so he hobbled back to the TARDIS, regeneration happens before the show even call it a Regeneration

Troughton - Regeneration brought about by the Time Lords, arguable up until this past Christmas episode to not be an "official" regeneration.

Pertwee - Radiation exposure while battling psychic spiders. Makes it back in time to let Sarah Jane know.

Tom Baker - Fall, still manages to have words with his companions, so it's clear he's alive when the process starts

Davison - Exposure to deadly chemicals, he gave the antidote to Peri, then before regenerating said something about it feeling different this time

Colin Baker - Regeneration brought about from an attack by The Rani

McCoy - Shot. Yes he flatlined on the operating table, but after regenerating into McGann it's mentioned the sedative drugs delayed the process.

McGann - Died in a spaceship crash. As in DEAD. The Sisterhood Of Karn used magic to revive him and trigger the regeneration. They did a similar thing to Tom Baker, but it was before he died, thus preventing a regeneration.

Hurt - Regeneration just started happening, presumably from old age

Eccleston - Absorbed time vortex energy. Regeneration happened while he was standing

Tennant - Fended off a regeneration to grow his human counterpart, then absorbed radiation. Made mention that "it's starting" before his full regeneration hits. Regeneration happens while standing

Smith - Regeneration energy given to him by the Time Lords. Is clearly alive when he switches to Capaldi.

So there you go. In every instance sans McGann, he's not "dead" when the regeneration happens. Even McCoy->McGann has an out (well also that it was done by an American company that fudged on lore to begin with...). Notice The Doctor has never been beheaded or vaporized. He "stays whole" and is at least semi-conscious when the process starts (again, sans McCoy who was probably comatose).

Chus-Kay

« Reply #58 on: January 03, 2014, 11:32:11 PM »
I still say his fear isn't so much fear as it is sadness that he will change.

RealMarchHare

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 03, 2014, 11:43:44 PM »
That I can agree with

Zandrax

• Hey buddy!
    • View Profile
    • Geekville Radio
« Reply #60 on: January 04, 2014, 07:17:58 AM »
Yes, that's perfectly resonable

Zandrax

• Hey buddy!
    • View Profile
    • Geekville Radio
« Reply #61 on: January 27, 2014, 07:09:10 PM »

EDGECRUSHER

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 07, 2014, 11:25:34 PM »
Finished up the Matt Smith era and thought he was amazing. Rough transition from Tennant, but he really made it his own.

The Christmas episode was kind of a reward for him for being so great to others over the years. He got to be around people who loved him and had many more victories. It wasn't epic like Tennant's farewell was, but it matched the tone of Matt Smith's Doctor very well.

Maybe I need glasses, but did Matt Smith really shave his head? I know he has much shorter hair in real life and it looked like he really did. He also should pray he never loses his hair because that was a terrible look.

Time to start on Classic Who.

Zandrax

• Hey buddy!
    • View Profile
    • Geekville Radio
« Reply #63 on: February 08, 2014, 03:44:57 AM »
I heard that yes he did shave it for another role, that's why they worked that scene in.

Zandrax

• Hey buddy!
    • View Profile
    • Geekville Radio
« Reply #64 on: April 20, 2014, 09:04:38 PM »
http://www.dailymotion.com/playlists/user/greendude33/9

And updated link from the first page.

More Classic Who than you can shake a sonic screwdriver at.

Zandrax

• Hey buddy!
    • View Profile
    • Geekville Radio

SupTool

• View Profile
    • Flying Heel Productions
« Reply #66 on: June 02, 2014, 01:51:49 PM »
Sylvester McCoy reenacting the Pandorica speech made famous by Matt Smith
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nG9Z5djon7w

Paul McGann reenacting the Day of the Doctor speech made famous by Matt Smith
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLZIHinH0DQ

tr0042

• tr0042 = TimR
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 02, 2014, 02:27:41 PM »
For those with the cable channel "retro tv", they will in the summer start showing Classic Who.

My cable co doesn't carry the channel, but there is a low power station in St Louis.  Gonna see if I can get a bigger anntenna to pull it in.

Zandrax

• Hey buddy!
    • View Profile
    • Geekville Radio
« Reply #68 on: June 02, 2014, 04:10:22 PM »
Given the amount of Radio shows McGann has done as his Doctor, it's fitting that he'd be able to read a speech off the cuff.

Zandrax

• Hey buddy!
    • View Profile
    • Geekville Radio
« Reply #69 on: June 02, 2014, 04:40:19 PM »
And if you wanted to hear other Doctors take their cracks at the Matt Smith speech....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIzyETdOSTA

Zandrax

• Hey buddy!
    • View Profile
    • Geekville Radio
« Reply #70 on: July 13, 2014, 04:49:47 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TivqZTq5u6Y

Finally a full-length trailer, none of the 15 second crap.

And it looks like we're finally getting back to a more serious Doctor. It certainly seems like he's very Pertwee inspired.

Zandrax

• Hey buddy!
    • View Profile
    • Geekville Radio
« Reply #71 on: August 23, 2014, 07:16:33 PM »
Season Premiere is tonight in case you've been under a rock.

Chus-Kay

« Reply #72 on: August 23, 2014, 07:46:03 PM »
i havent.  but didnt know that.  thanks.

Zandrax

• Hey buddy!
    • View Profile
    • Geekville Radio
« Reply #73 on: August 23, 2014, 11:09:21 PM »
Overall, I thought the episode was good. I think Capaldi fits right in.

As far as the cameo [spoiler]I think it's meant to be that Matt Smith phoned Clara right before he walked out to meet her leading up to his actual regeneration[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 12:45:45 AM by Zandrax »

Zandrax

• Hey buddy!
    • View Profile
    • Geekville Radio
« Reply #74 on: August 31, 2014, 02:33:44 AM »
Into The Dalek felt like a retelling of Fantastic Voyage with a little bit of Evil Of The Daleks sprinkled in.

It's not the first time The Doctor tried to make Daleks good. I can't find the evidence now but there was a story where Patrick Troughton's Doctor injected Daleks with emotion, so there were Daleks that weren't evil and just started cracking jokes.