Author Topic: All-Purpose Star Wars thread (NO SPOILERS)  (Read 43077 times)

Zandrax

• Hey buddy!
    • View Profile
    • Geekville Radio
All-Purpose Star Wars thread (NO SPOILERS)
« on: October 26, 2010, 04:57:00 PM »
Figured there should be one. But if it gets big we can always splinter off into other threads.

The biggest rumor going around is that there may be three more movies coming down the pike. Now older geeks like myself may remember the "nine movie" story dating back to when Empire Strikes Back was in theaters.

The scoop at IESB:

http://iesb.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=10291:iesb-exclusive-the-line-starts-hereagain-new-star-wars-movies-planned&catid=41:news&Itemid=71

What do we know? First of all, these new film will have nothing to do with the live action television series currently in development. That show already has over 50 scripts ready to go and plenty of pre-production time and money has been spent on artwork and storyboards. Once that show goes into production, Lucasfilm hopes to be able to produce at least 100 episodes since that is the threshold for syndication in the United States.

IESB has been told fans can expect the new trilogy after the entire saga is released in 3D which is expected to be complete around 2015 or 2016.

The ideal plan, according to our spy at Skywalker Ranch, is to be able to release a new Star Wars film within 24 months after the release of the last re-re-release (is that right?) of Return of the Jedi 3D.

Too early for story details but one thing that our source is certain about, they will not be prequels but instead sequels. It's not for certain if they will be the long awaited Episodes 7, 8 and 9 but could instead be Episodes 10, 11 and 12 or possibly even further out in the Star Wars timeline. And by giving space in the timeline, possibly even as far as 100 years or 1,000 years in the Star Wars universe future, Lucas avoids having to make these stories "fit in" with what the previous stories have told.

According to our sources, the most likely scenario for the films is that they will exist in the same universe but will not have anything to do with the Skywalker Clan. That story has been told, that starship has sailed.

What has caused this sudden change of heart for Uncle George? Well, besides the obvious possible billions that a new Star Wars trilogy will take in, our source tells us that George has gotten motivated with the success the Clone Wars animated series, the video games and also with the success of Avatar.

Can we expect Lucasfilm to confirm our story? Have they ever? Nope, I am sure that they will spin this or completely deny the story, but we will stand 100% behind our source.

The first couple paragraphs of the article claims they broke the stories on Joss Weheden directing Avengers, the Clone Wars and live action TV series and such.... so we'll see if this comes to fruition.

Also, for those who don't know, there is a live-action series in the works.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Wars_live-action_TV_series

"It's kind of like Episode IV — it's funny and there's action, but it's [a] lot more talky. It's more of what I would call a soap opera with a bunch of personal dramas in it. It's not really based on action-adventure films from the '30s — it's actually more based on film noir movies from the '40s!"
    ―George Lucas, Total Film magazine, May 2008 issue, p. 13

The series is rumored to feature minor characters that will be from both the films, such as Bail Organa and Mon Mothma, as well as those from the Expanded Universe, such as Ferus Olin or Mara Jade during her tenure as Emperor's Hand, with possible cameos by some of the main characters. Lucas: "The Emperor and Darth Vader are heard about — people talk about them — but you never see them because it doesn't take place where they actually are. There are stormtroopers and all that, but there are no Jedis." Lucas had originally written a scene for Revenge of the Sith involving the Expanded Universe character Quinlan Vos, but the character received only a mention in the final film. Lucas himself later instructed the writers of the Star Wars: Republic comic book series to not kill off the character. This has led some fans to speculate that Vos may play a role in the series. A. C. Crispin proposed a book series dealing with Princess Leia Organa between Episode III and IV, but "Lucasfilm didn't approve the idea of a Leia backstory because they want to keep that era of the SW continuity untouched for the television series they're considering." Karen Traviss was to write a novel involving Boba Fett, but the project was canceled because of possible conflicts with the TV series.

The previously mentioned October 15, 2007 AICN report mentioned several alleged details on the series' characters; according to the report, the series will have a more emotionally nuanced, morally gray take on characterization; "Rebel bases and Imperial Star Destroyers...Imperials will be everywhere in the new show - undercover operatives, Imperial Officers of all makes and ambitions, and nearly all of them will be afraid of Darth Vader." The characters Oola, Bib Fortuna, Boba Fett, Thall Joben, a Rebel general named Durron, "a straight-laced Rebel with the last name Naberre [sic]...in his 20s", "at least" one Mandalorian and "General Papanoida" have all been confirmed to appear.

Wookiepedia also states that Boba Fett may appear in the show in some capacity, played by Daniel Logan (young Boba in Ep II). The Emperor himself Ian McDiarmid has also expressed interest in reprising the role, but if the above is true it would be in very brief cameos.

Another name rumored is actor Sam Witwer, who supplied both the voice and face of Starkiller Galen Marek in The Force Unleashed games.

50 scripts are done, with 50 more in the works. So that will probably mean a minimum of 100 episodes.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 10:56:03 AM by Zandrax »

Nightmares

• View Profile
Re: All-Purpose Star Wars thread
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2010, 05:53:56 PM »
Mesa Jar Jar. Mesa Dark Lord of de Sith. Yousa pay de price for bombad lack of vision *tries to hit hero with Force Lightning but only succeeds in electrocuting himself*. Mesa have ouch time.

Zandrax

• Hey buddy!
    • View Profile
    • Geekville Radio
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2010, 07:00:15 PM »
Mesa Jar Jar. Mesa Dark Lord of de Sith. Yousa pay de price for bombad lack of vision *tries to hit hero with Force Lightning but only succeeds in electrocuting himself*. Mesa have ouch time.

Mesa be finding yousa lackin in faith disturbin. YOUSA PEOPLE GONNA DIE!!!

Freakshow

• forums revenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2010, 10:20:29 AM »
The only way the final trilogy would work would be to have Georgie Porgie producing.  He's still got the geek cred to bring in great directors, and I think any self-respecting geek director would give his left nut to do Star Wars right.

Zandrax

• Hey buddy!
    • View Profile
    • Geekville Radio
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2010, 07:54:18 AM »
The only way the final trilogy would work would be to have Georgie Porgie producing.  He's still got the geek cred to bring in great directors, and I think any self-respecting geek director would give his left nut to do Star Wars right.
I don't have the Lucas hate nerd rage that some geeks have, but I agree that the best Star Wars is the Star Wars that Lucas produces, but lets others fill in the gaps with directing and screenplays.

Chus-Kay

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2010, 08:49:00 AM »
any chance they can get michael bay on board?

Zandrax

• Hey buddy!
    • View Profile
    • Geekville Radio
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2010, 09:06:27 AM »
any chance they can get michael bay on board?
Make way for Bantha humping.

Chus-Kay

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2010, 09:18:12 AM »
Make way for Bantha humping.

what could be tougher than a deathstar?  5 deathstars!

what's better than the millenium falcon?  a fleet of millenium falcons that combine together into one giant millenium falcon!

Zandrax

• Hey buddy!
    • View Profile
    • Geekville Radio
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2010, 11:38:26 AM »
I've been watching the Clone Wars series. It reinforces my above thought that the best Star Wars is the stuff that Lucas signs off on and oversees, but doesn't direct or guide each step. In many ways it's better than the prequels, even if the scale isn't as grand. I also shouldn't be surprised that some of my favorite episodes wind up being written by Paul Dini.

Zandrax

• Hey buddy!
    • View Profile
    • Geekville Radio
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2011, 09:30:19 PM »
Second half of Clone Wars Season 3 starts Friday

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8gOO6eMSfE

Zandrax

• Hey buddy!
    • View Profile
    • Geekville Radio
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2011, 11:11:04 AM »
The big news from the last batch of episodes is that Darth Maul may still be alive. My guess is it's a swerve and it's actually Maul's "brother" hinted at by Lucas in a recent interview.

For those not watching here was the gist of the last three episodes

Darth Sidious orders Count Dooku (voiced by Shockwave from Transformers G1) to kill his apprentice Asajj Ventress (the evil Sinead O'Connor who first appeared in the Genndy Tartakovsky series a few years back) as a sign of loyalty. This is no suprise because Sith betray and kill each other all the time. It's what they do.

Dooku obliges and has the droid space force gang up on Ventress's ship, but she manages to escape death. She then finds a way back to her home planet of Dathomir, To those that read books, this planet sounds familiar. It is home to a race of "witches" who have learned to use The Force in a way different than the Jedi. This is also home to a certain sect of Zabrak (the species of Darth Maul). Ventress chooses and trains one called Savage (pronounced "suh-VAUGHE", and voice by Clancy "Kurgan" Brown). Dooku later comes to Dathomir looking for a new apprentice, and you can guess who he picks. This falls right in with Ventress's plan, as she wants to use Savage to kill Dooku in revenge.

Savage, as Dooku's new apprentice, singlehandedly destroys a Republic outpist, slaughtering two Jedi in the process. He also fights Anakin and Obi-Wan to a standstill. The climax of the third episode is a three-way dance between Dooku, Ventress, and Savage. The fight is well booked because you see how the old but experienced Dooku is able to fend off two far younger and more athletic opponents. MOTY candidate so far this season. The episode ends with Dooku still at the right hand of Sidious, Ventress as a jilted rogue Sith, and Savage with no real purpose in life. However the Witch Mother of Dathomir reveals that Savage has a brother "hiding in the Outer Rim". A face clearly like that of Darth Maul's appears in her crystal ball.

There are some continuity issues with both the Expanded Universe and the movies here. But quite frankly WHO CARES?!? This is the freakin Kurgan slaughtering Jedi!

The big stinger for next week: Liam Neeson himself will reprise the role of Qui-Gon Jinn.

Zandrax

• Hey buddy!
    • View Profile
    • Geekville Radio
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2011, 11:34:02 PM »

Chus-Kay

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2011, 08:31:55 AM »
ok, so the last four episodes of the season were billed as "secrets revealed".  what secrets were revealed??

FreebirdSTF

• View Profile
    • South Atlanta Wrestling
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2011, 08:36:34 AM »
I don't have the Lucas hate nerd rage that some geeks have

There's your problem.

Zandrax

• Hey buddy!
    • View Profile
    • Geekville Radio
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2011, 08:48:41 AM »
ok, so the last four episodes of the season were billed as "secrets revealed".  what secrets were revealed??

Secrets Revealed has been the theme for the entire third season actually. This would seem to include Darth Maul's "brother", Anakin coming to terms with his "chosen one" destiny (including a vision of himself as Vader), and Ventress's connection to the Dathomir witches. It also drops the first hint at being able to communicate with dead Jedi, as Qui-Gon appears as a vision to Obi-Wan.

Haven't seen the season finale with Chewbacca yet, but the main story arc in the final episodes has been a navigation route between Republic and Separatist space that could allow for quick and sudden strikes in the heart of each other's territory. Plus "Captain Tarkin" has been part of the story with some mutual respect being teased between him and Anakin.

Chus-Kay

« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2011, 08:52:52 AM »
there was a three parter than immediately preceeded the chewbacca episode (which was the worst episode they could have chosen for a season finale because it was a self contained episode) were about breaking a jedi and tarkin out of a prison.  each of them had half a secret.  but at the end (i wont spoil it), they don't reveal it...to anyone really.

each of these were billed as "secrets revealed".  if you are like me and you started watching at that point, you, like me, might be a little disappointed and confused.

Zandrax

• Hey buddy!
    • View Profile
    • Geekville Radio
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2011, 10:05:35 AM »
Maybe, but like I said the entire season has had the secrets revealed slogan in its commercials.

Though I can understand the frustrations that the show doesn't follow a direct sequence. Much like the books there's no set chronological order. People that die show up in later episodes, because those later episodes take place earlier in the timeline.

Zandrax

• Hey buddy!
    • View Profile
    • Geekville Radio
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2011, 10:08:56 AM »

Chus-Kay

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2011, 10:12:34 AM »
Though I can understand the frustrations that the show doesn't follow a direct sequence. Much like the books there's no set chronological order. People that die show up in later episodes, because those later episodes take place earlier in the timeline.

what...

Zandrax

• Hey buddy!
    • View Profile
    • Geekville Radio
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2011, 10:19:50 AM »
what...

THOUGH I CAN UNDERSTAND THE FRUSTRATIONS THAT THE SHOW DOESN'T FOLLOW A DIRECT SEQUENCE. MUCH LIKE THE BOOKS THERE'S NO SET CHRONOLOGICAL ORDER. PEOPLE THAT DIE SHOW UP IN LATER EPISODES, BECAUSE THOSE EPISODES TAKE PLACE EARLIER IN THE TIMELINE.

:biggrin_mini2:

I mentioned the books because that is pretty prevalent in the books as well. Some books released later happen earlier in the timeline.

Chus-Kay

« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2011, 10:35:44 AM »
THOUGH I CAN UNDERSTAND THE FRUSTRATIONS THAT THE SHOW DOESN'T FOLLOW A DIRECT SEQUENCE. MUCH LIKE THE BOOKS THERE'S NO SET CHRONOLOGICAL ORDER. PEOPLE THAT DIE SHOW UP IN LATER EPISODES, BECAUSE THOSE EPISODES TAKE PLACE EARLIER IN THE TIMELINE.

:biggrin_mini2:

I mentioned the books because that is pretty prevalent in the books as well. Some books released later happen earlier in the timeline.

but a single book (or even trilogy) wouldn't have chapters out of order (w/o some something telling the reader they are reading a back flash or something).

Zandrax

• Hey buddy!
    • View Profile
    • Geekville Radio

Chus-Kay

tr0042

• tr0042 = TimR
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2011, 11:14:25 PM »
I just don't know that I can buy another version with the blu ray coming out.
I have two sets of the original in VHS, I think two sets DVD and now the new 9 disc set coming.
Lucas has to much of my money now, plus I'm pissed the originals won't be released.

Zandrax

• Hey buddy!
    • View Profile
    • Geekville Radio
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2011, 07:27:17 AM »
I never got upset about the originals. Other than the Greedo thing I think everything was done better in the Special Editions. Such as the Empire SE covering up the plot hole of Vader magically appearing on the bridge of the Executer right after his fight with Luke at Cloud City.  Plus The Emperor doesn't look like a monkey.

To answer Chus's question, when I posted the link it was a countdown. May 4th is/was an unofficial "Star Wars Day". That's why a lot of Facebook statuses were Star Wars Quotes and why there was a lot of "May the Fourth be with you". It was also when they announced more details on the Blu Ray set.