Author Topic: All-Purpose Star Wars thread (NO SPOILERS)  (Read 43078 times)

Freakshow

• forums revenant
    • View Profile
Re: All-Purpose Star Wars thread
« Reply #50 on: August 31, 2011, 04:16:09 PM »
I don't have the Lucas hate nerd rage that some geeks have,

Oh hay, look at these forthcoming changes to the Blu-Ray editions of Star Wars:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGaSxSuB2vY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0EUjobdavw

Do you see?  DO YOU SEE?!?!!?

Yes, that is the Sam Neil line from Event Horizon, and that's what Lucas has become.

And he's going to drag us to hell with him.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 04:18:28 PM by Freakshow »

FreebirdSTF

• View Profile
    • South Atlanta Wrestling
« Reply #51 on: August 31, 2011, 10:39:11 PM »
I don't hate the "no," but like most of his changes it is completely unnecessary.  It's like Lucas fucked up and accidentally made good movies and he's trying desperately to "fix" them.

Zandrax

• Hey buddy!
    • View Profile
    • Geekville Radio
« Reply #52 on: August 31, 2011, 10:45:05 PM »
I have heard it confirmed that Vader says "No.". But those nos sounded ripped from RotJ "No. I will deal with them myself". And the second one from the infamous "Do Not Want" in EpIII.

Either way, two additional words said doesn't ruin anything for me personally. Nor does the changing of the Krayt Dragon howl. I get that some people like the original noise, but as a kid I didn't know that Obi-Wan made that noise until after readong books. That actually looks like he's making that noise there.

But again, nowhere near as bad as the Greedo travesty.

By the way, there are some improvements that make sense. Such as making ewoks blink...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnLgh3dudSk

Though I'm sure some will still bitch about tampering with it. Even though ewoks were hated by fans when they showed up in the first place...
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 10:50:19 PM by Zandrax »

FreebirdSTF

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 31, 2011, 10:47:52 PM »
I think it's stupid to change things just for the hell of it.  What's the big issue with having Obi-Wan make the same sound he made in the original?  If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Zandrax

• Hey buddy!
    • View Profile
    • Geekville Radio
« Reply #54 on: August 31, 2011, 10:49:40 PM »
I don't hate the "no," but like most of his changes it is completely unnecessary.  It's like Lucas fucked up and accidentally made good movies and he's trying desperately to "fix" them.

I do agree that it's unnecessary. But again it's not ruining anything for me.

Of course, people that are so in love with the originals are effectively whining to keep the destruction of Alderaan that looked like a pumpkin splatting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_Fc9ubaGAE

Chus-Kay

« Reply #55 on: August 31, 2011, 11:35:02 PM »
the no is horrible.

the sand people scream now sounds like the stupidly fake screams from the shadows in ghost.

Zandrax

• Hey buddy!
    • View Profile
    • Geekville Radio
« Reply #56 on: September 01, 2011, 10:12:40 AM »
For the record I would have totally dug a redo like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZGyFm6zZeU

Zandrax

• Hey buddy!
    • View Profile
    • Geekville Radio
« Reply #57 on: September 02, 2011, 10:47:12 PM »
Maybe in the 3D version Lucas can add in The Emperor screaming "I KNEW I SHOULDN'T HAVE PUT MY THRONE ROOM AT THE TOP OF THIS SHAAAAAAFT!!...." as he falls

Zandrax

• Hey buddy!
    • View Profile
    • Geekville Radio
« Reply #58 on: September 06, 2011, 04:42:52 PM »
http://www.theforce.net/latestnews/story/Heir_To_The_Empire_20th_Anniversary_Edition_140383.asp

You know you start to feel old when they have 20th Anniversaries of the books that relaunched the fandom.

Zandrax

• Hey buddy!
    • View Profile
    • Geekville Radio
« Reply #59 on: September 10, 2011, 02:14:31 PM »
http://starwarz.com/starkiller/2010/03/the-star-wars-revised-first-draft/

First draft of what would become Star Wars, dated July of 1974.

Zandrax

• Hey buddy!
    • View Profile
    • Geekville Radio
« Reply #60 on: September 11, 2011, 06:20:11 PM »
Two more alleged changes in the Blu Ray

[spoiler]Digital assistance to Jabba to make his mouth move with the words

Hayden inserted into Anakin's death scene, replacing Sebastian Shaw[/spoiler]

Zandrax

• Hey buddy!
    • View Profile
    • Geekville Radio
« Reply #61 on: September 13, 2011, 05:54:21 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yb8hJHe1BcI

A clip from one of my favorite stories in the series, The Mandalore Plot This probably could have been a movie in its own right. That's Jon Favreau as the Mandalorean commando.

Zandrax

• Hey buddy!
    • View Profile
    • Geekville Radio
« Reply #62 on: September 14, 2011, 01:27:38 AM »
By the way, back on the additional "NOOOOO!", this thought occurred to me

We all remember the over the top "NOOO!" used at the end of Episode III. That really seemed to be the last gasp of Anakin Skywalker before fully embracing the emotionless badass persona of Darth Vader. Perhaps this new bellow is signifying the return of Anakin Skywalker. After all it is supposed to be the Return Of The Jedi....

FreebirdSTF

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 14, 2011, 07:45:34 AM »
Perhaps it really doesn't improve that scene at all and is completely moronic.  That is a good thought on why George Lucas thinks it's a good addition though. 

Chus-Kay

« Reply #64 on: September 14, 2011, 09:48:23 AM »
By the way, back on the additional "NOOOOO!", this thought occurred to me

We all remember the over the top "NOOO!" used at the end of Episode III. That really seemed to be the last gasp of Anakin Skywalker before fully embracing the emotionless badass persona of Darth Vader. Perhaps this new bellow is signifying the return of Anakin Skywalker. After all it is supposed to be the Return Of The Jedi....

you didn't now that return of the jedi referred to vader turning good in the end?

Zandrax

• Hey buddy!
    • View Profile
    • Geekville Radio
« Reply #65 on: September 15, 2011, 08:17:23 AM »

SouthpawJosh

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 16, 2011, 12:26:53 PM »

Chus-Kay

« Reply #67 on: September 16, 2011, 12:34:31 PM »
9. The Dramatic Destruction of the Death Star  Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope
 In the original scene, the momentous destruction of the Death Star must have seemed underwhelming to Lucas. To add gravity to the situation, in the 1997 Star Wars Trilogy Special Edition, he applied a Praxis halo to the explosion of the space station, an effect pioneered in Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country. The scientific phenomenon causes a band of matter to shoot outward from a large, exploding object Many fans, unimpressed by the addition, claim it’s technically unjustifiable. Not to mention, the ring is on the wrong axis.

i actually liked this change - and the other updated special effects to space battles.

Jef Leopard

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 16, 2011, 01:59:15 PM »
I can live with any of the changes EXCEPT the removal of the "Yub Yub Celebrate the Love" song from the end of VI. 
I'll never watch any version of VI except the theatrical release until that depressing John Williams orchestral crap is gotten the fuck out for some happytime Ewok jamboree goodness.

Chus-Kay

« Reply #69 on: September 16, 2011, 04:57:22 PM »
I can live with any of the changes EXCEPT the removal of the "Yub Yub Celebrate the Love" song from the end of VI. 
I'll never watch any version of VI except the theatrical release until that depressing John Williams orchestral crap is gotten the fuck out for some happytime Ewok jamboree goodness.

you can live with han solo shooting first/simultaneously?

Zandrax

• Hey buddy!
    • View Profile
    • Geekville Radio
« Reply #70 on: September 16, 2011, 05:15:24 PM »
I hate Greedo shooting first as much as the next guy.

But.....

Literally every other update in the Special Editions (can't comment on the Blu-Ray yet) was an improvement. The shockwaves in the destruction of Alderaan and the Death Stars look cool, so how much sense it makes isn't as important. Laser/blaster depictions in Star Wars are so incredibly silly anyway, to point to science for the explosions is ridiculous.

So in short I'm willing to trade one downgrade for the dozen or so improvements.

Chus-Kay

« Reply #71 on: September 16, 2011, 05:19:15 PM »
I hate Greedo shooting first as much as the next guy.

But.....

Literally every other update in the Special Editions (can't comment on the Blu-Ray yet) was an improvement. The shockwaves in the destruction of Alderaan and the Death Stars look cool, so how much sense it makes isn't as important. Laser/blaster depictions in Star Wars are so incredibly silly anyway, to point to science for the explosions is ridiculous.

So in short I'm willing to trade one downgrade for the dozen or so improvements.

not me.  i'd give up the better special effects (battle scenes) and have han shoots first (i should have said greedo shoots first above), no anakin replacement, no horrible cgi jabba, no 10,000 extra cgi creatures in mos eisley or in jabba's palace (extra music can go).  that's why the original release is still the best.

Jef Leopard

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 16, 2011, 05:22:55 PM »
you can live with han solo shooting first/simultaneously?

To be honest the "original theatrical releases" they put out a few years ago as second discs on IV, V, and VI are the only ones I watch anymore.  I don't really care for ANY of the changes, but the cutting of Yub Yub is the only one that I get actually worked up over.

FreebirdSTF

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 16, 2011, 06:04:42 PM »
The problem is that to get a shiny new version of the movies you have to put up with all these minor changes.  I wouldn't care if he would also offer a cleaned up version of the theatrical releases that doesn't change things that are actually part of the plot.  If he was just cleaning up explosions it would be one thing, but he's editing lines/music/making Greedo shoot first and all this other crap.

Zandrax

• Hey buddy!
    • View Profile
    • Geekville Radio
« Reply #74 on: September 16, 2011, 06:47:20 PM »
I'm cool with a lot of the changes, including substituting Hayden in the end of Jedi, and I'll tell you why.

Original Anakin was clearly an old dude (actor Sebastian Shaw was in his late 70s at the time), not to mention limbless. And given the timeline we now know, Anakin was about 45 at the time of his death. So if becoming a Force Ghost somehow reattaches all your limbs, he's still looking at least 20 years too old. Thus "healed" Anakin would probably look closer to Hayden then he would an 80 year old Brit anyway.

Plus I will much rather have my Emperor in Episode V looking like this...

...than like this

« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 08:50:24 PM by Zandrax »