Author Topic: Cobra Kai (2018)  (Read 2318 times)

BlackLight

• View Profile
Cobra Kai (2018)
« on: March 24, 2018, 09:24:41 PM »
After 35 years of squawking that Johnny Lawrence was the real babyface, the jocks finally get their wish.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCwwxNbtK6Y[/youtube]

DocSavage

• @#*%
    • View Profile
Re: Cobra Kai (2018)
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2018, 07:54:47 PM »
Was excited about this, until I learned it's a Youtube Red exclusive.

Guess I can enjoy the various clips.

benlinus

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2018, 05:32:32 PM »
lots of new trailers up on youtube. It costs all of 10 dollars a month for youtube red I think. you can afford to join for 1 month and then ditch it. I know that is what I plan on doing :)

also since we are here this guy has it nailed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_Gz_iTuRMM

SupTool

• View Profile
    • Flying Heel Productions
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2018, 06:41:22 PM »
Are they posting all of them at once like Netflix does?

benlinus

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2018, 07:23:09 PM »
i have no idea good point.

DocSavage

• @#*%
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2018, 07:24:44 PM »
Services add up if you get enough of them.  :)

If its good, I can swing a month binge.

RealMarchHare

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2018, 08:49:10 PM »
I've actually been signed up to YouTube Red since a little after it's launch.  I don't watch a lot of Red Originals and really only got it so I can watch Lazer Team, and now Lazer Team 2, wheneve I wish too.  Despite not watching a lot of Red Originals I still find it worth the $10 a month simply because it removes commercials.  If you watch enough YouTube consistently like my Woman and I it makes a huge difference.  Every time I watch YouTube now on someone else's account that isn't a subscriber I get so confused at first as to why commercials are playing forgetting I'm paying for them not to be there.

This series is just giving me another reason to stay subscribed

benlinus

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2018, 03:07:35 PM »
First 2 episodes up on youtube for free. Next 8 episodes are up for 10 bucks total for youtube red and you can watch them all. You can even cancel after the first month and pay nothing but to support youtube red I will stay a member for 3 months. If you just liked the johnny vs daniel rivalry be happy because that is where most of the story is. They are not background characters they are at the forefront of the entire series. Great flashback sequences using scenes from the movie. Everyone shines in their roles. Would highly recommend.

RealMarchHare

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2018, 12:44:24 AM »
Sweet I know what I'm watching tomorrow

RealMarchHare

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2018, 07:14:43 PM »
Was pretty good.  I like how nobody was really the good guy.  Everyone has their flaws making them feel scummy.

My only complaint is near the end they do start to make Danny out to be the one who's right and the hero which seemed counter-productive to the story being told to that point.

benlinus

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2018, 08:56:15 PM »
I will refrain from making more comments about the series until a few weeks have passed cause I suck at doing spoiler tags so all I will say is as a teacher the methods of miyagi that Daniel learned are the good parts of karate so to speak where the cobra kai methods is considered the darker side of karate (although Daniel is not innocent the way he treats Johnny during the series.

RealMarchHare

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2018, 09:26:24 PM »
I will refrain from making more comments about the series until a few weeks have passed cause I suck at doing spoiler tags so all I will say is as a teacher the methods of miyagi that Daniel learned are the good parts of karate so to speak where the Cobra Kai methods is considered the darker side of karate (although Daniel is not innocent the way he treats Johnny during the series.

Agreed though that was also what I meant by my problem with the series

[spoiler]At the final episodes you've watched Daniel continue to be a complete asshole the whole series and they do a good job of highlighting that he was really always like this even as a kid.  Yet by the end due to the way they portray what's going on with Miguel, Sam, and Robbie they make Daniel start seeming like the reasonable one.

Frankly through this whole series I viewed Daniel as the antagonist.  Pretty much everything that goes wrong stems from something he does.  Not to say Johnny is a good guy.  He's definitely damaged and they do a great job of highlighting that as well but give a lot of good reason for him to be like this from how things went down in his youth.

Through this though Johnny is the one who's actually helping the kids.  He is instilling confidence in them and teaching them to protect themselves.  Is the Cobra Kai way good?  Not exactly.  Is it evil?  Again not exactly.  It's just as it's first tenet says, Strike First.  To me, and it seems to be how his students interpreted it as well that means don't wait to be walked all over.  Take charge of the situation before it takes charge of you.  Miguel when he finally takes charge kicks the shit out of the school bullies but that's it. He never continues to antagonize them and just goes back to his life once they're knocked down off their pegs.  Do some of the students go off the deep end with these teachings?  Hell yea but you can't control that.  Lip/Hawk clearly interprets it all to be a complete "badass" bully by the end but then you gotta look at how this was a complete 180 in his personality. Frankly that seemed natural that would happen that way.

You also got to look at something Danny says to Robbie at the end that Miyagi had taught him.  There are no bad students, only bad teachers.  He knows Johnny had a bad teacher.  He also knows that Johnny turned from his teacher after their fight.  So why the continued antagonizing and never giving him a chance?
 Maybe because just as Barney Stinson said in a brilliant Season 8 episode Danny Larusso was really the villain to begin with.  The creators of this clearly got the inspiration for this show from that as they do a whole narrative montage mimicing the explanation and frankly I buy into it.  Again, Johnny is the one thorugh this series helping the kids.  He even tells Miguel to fight and win honorably at the end which Miguel ignores and he calls the little shit out on it.

TL;DR Danny is truly the villain of The Karate Kid and Cobra Kai and Johnny is just a guy trying to get by in life who keeps getting shit on.[/spoiler]

Incoherent rant over

BlackLight

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2018, 01:27:24 PM »
Just finished this last night. Good stuff, although two of the callbacks in the finale were pretty cringy.

I liked how complicated the different characters were in their intentions and motivations (although I still don't go in for this "Daniel was the real villain all along" silliness).

Just picked up its Season 2 renewal yesterday, so we wait with baited breath.

benlinus

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2018, 08:43:09 PM »
daniel was the real bully was just a goof but he was not 100 percent innocent in the original movie. He did mess up johnny in the bathroom 100 percent unprovoked and then caused a bunch of car wrecks when he ran away instead of taking his medicine like a man.

BlackLight

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2018, 10:39:57 PM »
DANIEL LARUSSO WAS AN ANGEL IN THE FIRST MOVIE AND I'LL NOT HEAR IT SAID OTHERWISE.

DocSavage

• @#*%
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2018, 08:01:42 AM »
I like how Johnny beat up kids in the previews.

So they use the real actors?  And the guy from 3 is there, which is just awesome.

benlinus

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2018, 04:51:00 PM »
there is no actor from karate kid 3 in cobra kai although the names terry silver and mike barnes are mentioned.