Author Topic: Luke Cage, Season 2  (Read 1311 times)

BobbyR

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Luke Cage, Season 2
« on: June 22, 2018, 07:05:05 PM »
Just started watching the first episode. So far so good, but the character Sugar just talked about driving some folk to Mount Vernon to a bachelor party at Sue's Rendezvous. Made me laugh as that's a real strip club I used to go to back in the day

RealMarchHare

• View Profile
Re: Luke Cage, Season 2
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2018, 09:51:54 PM »
Halfway through the season myself.  It's doing a better job with the villain unlike Season 1 once Cottonmouth was removed from the picture

BobbyR

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2018, 09:53:25 PM »
I'm on episode 4. It's pretty good so far. Not great but good

The music on the other hand is kick ass. Almost reason enough to watch

BobbyR

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2018, 10:09:19 PM »
Oh and I agree on the villain. I kind of like Bushmaster

BobbyR

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2018, 09:36:08 PM »
I have 14 minutes left but that was fucking awesome

One of the best things Marvel has done

RealMarchHare

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2018, 09:47:10 PM »
Finished it.  Was a definite step up from the first season but only because the second half of season 1 was so weak.  First half of season 1 still better than this.

Overall it handled it's story better and actually broke the Marvel Netflix mold by not doing a pointless out of the blue rug pool halfway through the season.  This actually helped it as it allowed a consistent story through the whole season as opposed to everything you knew leading up to a point being pointless.

There were a lot of great moments that are references to the comics such as Heroes for Hire.

Bushmaster as the powered antagonist is great and handled well.  After Kilgrave he is easily the second most terrifying villain in the Netflix universes.  They did a better job with Mariah and building on her character more though still the weakest aspect of all the villains.  Shades is still awesome.

Despite Luke's powers and all the shit he's been through he still doesn't feel invincible and I'm not talking just physically.

As BobbyR has said the music is again fantastic and found myself thinking I might want to look this artist up, though there was nobody with quite the musical impact on me as Jidenna had last season.  The tradition continues of getting Wu Tang to show up as well XD

Watching it also made me think to the praise Black Panther got for being a strong empowering film for the black community.  All I could think was, "yea but did they not watch Luke Cage Season 1?"  I realize that's a show and not a movie but I feel Luke Cage does what people said Black Panther did better.  Both Season 1 and 2.  Not to say Black Panther wasn't a pivotal and monumental film.

Overall, definitely worth the watch.  Not the best Marvel Netflix show season, still goes to Jessica Jones Season 1.  Not the worst, looking at you Iron Fist Season 1.  I'd say above average about equal to where Daredevil Season 2 and Punisher Season 1 are.

Prime

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Behind The Squared Circle
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2018, 01:50:44 AM »
Made me laugh as that's a real strip club I used to go to back in the day

What, there were strip clubs in the 1800's?

BobbyR

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2018, 06:46:31 PM »
Yeah, right down to the ankles and elbows